Are you feeling nostalgic for the days of big hair, neon clothes, and bold makeup? You’re not alone! The 80s were a time of creative self-expression, and nowhere was that more evident than in the makeup world.
From bold lips to glittery eyes, the 80s had it all. But even though it’s 2023, you can still bring back some of that 80s flair. In this article, we’ll take you on a journey through the world of 80s makeup looks and show you how to update them for a modern, stylish look.
Whether a makeup newbie or a seasoned pro, get ready to rock your 80s makeup looks like it’s 1989 all over again!
Bold Lips and Tips for Rocking Them Today
One of the most iconic features of 80s makeup was bold, bright lips. Whether it was a classic red or a daring hot pink, 80s makeup enthusiasts loved to make a statement with their lips.
To bring this look into the present day, start with matte lipstick in a bold shade. Reds, pinks, and purples are all great choices. Before you apply your lipstick, use a lip liner in a similar shade to outline your lips and prevent the colour from bleeding.
For an even bolder look, consider an ombre lip. This involves using a lighter shade in the centre of your lips and a darker shade on the edges, blending them together for a gradient effect. It’s a fun and modern take on the classic bold lip.
One thing to keep in mind when rocking a bold lip is to keep the rest of your makeup simple. Pair your bold lips with natural-looking eyes and a simple foundation to let your lips take centre stage.
Overall, the key to pulling off bold lips in 2023 is confidence. Don’t be afraid to try something new and daring – you might discover your new favourite look.
1980s makeup video tutorial 🔮 vibrant iconic blush, eyes & lips from Shannon
Blue Eyeshadow: How to Make It Work for You
Blue eyeshadow is a classic 80s makeup look that can be intimidating today. But with the proper techniques, you can make it work for you and create a fun and modern look.
- First, choose the right shade of blue for your skin tone. A lighter blue will be more flattering if you have fair skin, while deeper blues look great on deeper skin tones. A good rule of thumb is choosing a blue slightly darker than your eye colour.
- When applying your blue eyeshadow, use a light touch and build up the colour slowly. Apply the shadow to your lid and blend it towards your brow bone, using a clean blending brush to soften any harsh lines.
- To modernize the look, pair your blue eyeshadow with a neutral lip and a subtle cat-eye liner. This will keep the focus on your eyes and prevent the look from feeling too over-the-top.
Remember, when it comes to blue eyeshadow, less is more. Feel free to experiment with different shades and techniques until you find the perfect look. You can confidently pull off this iconic 80s makeup look with a bit of practice.
Contoured Cheeks: A 101 Guide
Contouring is a makeup technique that has been around for decades but took off in the 80s. One of the critical areas to contour is the cheeks, which can help define your bone structure and create a more sculpted look.
- To get started, choose a contour powder or cream a few shades darker than your natural skin tone. Apply it to the hollows of your cheeks using a small angled brush, blending it towards your hairline.
- Next, use a highlighter on the tops of your cheekbones to create contrast and bring light to your face. This will make your cheekbones appear even more defined.
- When it comes to blush, choose a shade that complements your skin tone and apply it to the apples of your cheeks, blending it upwards towards your temples. This will give your face a healthy flush and help bring the whole look together.
Remember, the key to successful contouring is blending. Use a clean brush to blend your contour and highlight together, ensuring no harsh lines or patches of colour.
With a bit of practice, you can create a beautifully contoured face that is both on-trend and flattering. Give it a try and see how it can enhance your natural beauty.
Winged Eyeliner: How to Master It
Winged eyeliner is a timeless beauty staple that has been around for decades. It can be tricky to master, but with a steady hand and a few simple tips, you can create the perfect wing every time.
- To start, choose a liquid or gel eyeliner with a fine tip. This will give you more control and precision when creating your wing. Begin by drawing a thin line along your upper lash line, starting from the inner corner of your eye and working outwards.
- Next, create a slight flick at the outer corner of your eye, pointing it upwards towards the end of your eyebrow. This will be the foundation of your wing.
- Using short strokes, connect the flick to your lash line, gradually making the line thicker as you move towards the centre of your eye. Keep the bar as close to your lash line as possible to avoid gaps.
- If you make a mistake, don’t panic. Dip a cotton swab in makeup remover and clean up any smudges or errors.
- When you’re happy with the shape of your wing, add a coat of mascara to your upper lashes to complete the look.
Remember, practice makes perfect when it comes to a winged eyeliner. Don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t turn out perfectly the first time – with patience and persistence, you’ll be a pro in no time.
So go ahead, give it a try and rock that iconic 80s winged eyeliner looks with confidence!
Glitter: Not Just for Little Kids Anymore
Think again if you think glitter is just for little kids and arts and crafts projects! The 80s were all about bold, colourful, sparkly makeup, and glitter was no exception.
One easy way to incorporate glitter into your makeup routine is to use glitter eyeliner. Please choose a colour that complements your eye colour, and apply it along your upper lash line for a subtle pop of sparkle. You can also add a touch of glitter to the inner corners of your eyes to brighten them up and make them look bigger.
For a more dramatic look, try using a loose glitter eyeshadow. Apply a thin layer of eyelash glue to your eyelids, and then use a small brush to press the glitter onto your lids. Make sure to tap off any excess glitter before applying to avoid fallout.
To take your glitter game to the next level, try using a glitter lip gloss or lipstick. Apply matte lipstick in your desired shade, and then add a layer of glitter lip gloss. This will give you a bold, shimmering pout that is perfect for a night out or a special occasion.
Just remember, a little bit of glitter goes a long way. Stick to one area of your face to avoid going overboard, and keep the rest of your makeup simple and understated to let your glitter take centre stage.
So don’t be afraid to sparkle and shine like the 80s icon that you are – embrace the glitter trend and let your inner glam rock star shine!
Updating 80s Makeup for a Modern Look
While it can be fun to experiment with vintage makeup looks, you may want to update them for a more modern, wearable version. Here are a few tips for taking the 80s makeup trends and making them work for today:
- Choose one statement feature: Instead of going all-out with bold lips, blue eyeshadow, contoured cheeks, winged eyeliner, and glitter all at once, choose one element to focus on and keep the rest of your makeup understated. This will help ensure your look is updated.
- Adjust the colour: While the bold, bright colours of the 80s can be fun, they might not be the most flattering on everyone. Try adjusting the shade of your makeup to be more muted or neutral while still staying true to the spirit of the original look.
- Modernize the finish: Instead of a super matte finish, popular in the 80s, try a more dewy or luminous finish for a modern update. This can help make the look feel fresher and more current.
- Experiment with different textures: The 80s were all about bold colours and statement-making textures like glitter and metallics. But for a more modern take, try experimenting with different textures like matte, satin, and shimmer finishes creating a more nuanced look.
Updating some of the elements of the 80s makeup trends allows you to create a fresh and modern version of a classic look. So don’t be afraid to experiment and make it your own!
If you’re looking to recreate the 80s makeup look or experiment with modern twists, consider checking out some online beauty stores for a wide range of products and deals. From bold lipsticks to glitter palettes, you can find everything you need to create your statement-making look. Happy shopping!
What was the makeup look for the 80s?
What influenced 1980s makeup?
How do you do 80s eyeliner?
What makeup products were popular in the 80s?
What colour lipstick was worn in the 80s?
While the 80s may be long gone, their bold and colourful makeup looks are still going strong. From bold lips to winged eyeliner and contoured cheeks to glitter, there are plenty of fun and unique makeup trends to try out.
The key to rocking these retro looks today is to keep them modern and fresh. Use the best techniques and products for you, and don’t be afraid to put your own spin on things. And remember, makeup is all about having fun and expressing yourself – so don’t take it too seriously!
Whether trying out a new trend or sticking to your tried-and-true favourites, remember to have fun and be confident in your skin. So go ahead and embrace your inner 80s icon – because with these makeup tips and tricks, you’re sure to stand out in the best way possible.